See what’s powering the 2015 Ford Mustang GT and watch as Ford takes one for a drive around the desert.
The GT will be holding the reigns as the top Mustang in the herd for the 2015 model year. As such, it was fitting to find out the 5.0L Coyote motor will be getting a bump in horsepower–up from 422 to ~430HP (Ford claims they’re still dialing this in). But don’t let that mild jump fool you, this car can perform.
Thanks to a completely reworked front and rear suspension and a few internals carried over from the BOSS 302, the car is capable of sprinting right next to the 2012-2013 BOSS around the track. Surprisingly enough, they’ve accomplished this without increasing the rev limit.
” it’s not going to rev any higher as far as the red line goes, but you are going to get more horsepower out of it and more torque ” – Dave Pericak, Ford Chief Engineer
Once more, the braking system has been completely upgraded–you’re getting 4 piston calipers with 14-inch rotors stock on the GT with an optional 6 piston calipers and 15-inch rotors from the factory. And yes, I am still talking about the 2015 GT. Clearly, the car is benefiting from an additional 3mm in length and being 13mm wider along with a 38mm lower roof and an improved center of gravity.
There’s more overall space in the interior and trunk too, believe it or not. The passage between the trunk and back seats has been increased and there will be both the usual 12V outlet and a USB port. Ford is offering up a good lineup of color options, too (The convertible you see pictured above is likely “Guard”).
Mustang6G highlights many of the GT specific changes Ford made with its latest redesign:
2015 Mustang GT Engine Specifications
- around 430HP, 390 Lb-Ft V8 Coyote engine
*New cams with 1mm more intake lift and 2mm more lift on the exhaust side
*New cylinder heads with revised high-flow ports and slightly larger valves
*Mid-lock cam phasers to provide greater range of cam timing on the intake side
*A revised intake manifold with charge-motion control valves
*BOSS 302 sintered-iron forged connecting rods
*BOSS 302 forged balanced crank
*BOSS 302 Valve Springs
*Redesigned piston tops
*11:1 compression ratio
- Oil cooler standard
- 155 MPH top speed
- New Dimensions: 0.12 in (3mm) longer, 0.51 in (13mm) wider, 1.49 in (38mm) lower roof, 0.78 in (20mm) lower seating position
- Transmissions: Updated manual gearbox (Getrag 6-speed) with revised shift linkage for shorter throws and smoother shifting. Automatic with paddle shifters (SelectShift 6-speed), rev matching and a redesigned case with lighter internals
- New perimeter front subframe: stiffer and less mass
- Front MacPherson strut system with new double-ball-joint spindle
- Rear integral-link independent rear suspension (IRS)
- New aluminum rear knuckles help reduce unsprung mass for improved ride and handling
- Launch Control
- Selectable Drive Modes: Normal mode, Sport mode, Track mode, Snow mode
- Intelligent Access with push-button start to SYNC® and MyKey®
- Track Apps standard
- MyColor gauges
- Shaker Pro audio system
- Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) with cross-traffic alert
- Adaptive cruise control
- SYNC AppLink
- Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS)