Reports are coming in and new details regarding the 2015 Mustang have recently come to light. While some are nervous and do not accept change well, Ford is planning big things for the next Ford Mustang whether you like it or not. We are finding out more and more about the 2015 Mustang now known to be riding on the all-new “s550” platform and we, like everyone else, are getting antsy to see the finished product. Check out what Ford has already said about its next ponycar.
The 2015 Mustang’s Current Standing
MustangsDaily is reporting an anonymous source inside Ford has confirmed the 6th generation Mustang will have a new platform coined the S550. With big changes for the Mustang coming, let’s run down a list of the most heated rumors and spy photo supported details we have on the next generation of the Ford Mustang:
- Ford has said it plans to take design cues from the Ford Evos concept car.
- Ford also plans to release the Mustang in Europe come 2015 due to increasing demand for the vehicle, though it may not to be featuring the 5.0L V8 right off the bat – an option possibly left only for those in the states.
- The new S550 platform will be lighter and and more compact than its predecessors due to increasing regulations and the plans for overseas sales.
- Many Mustang enthusiasts have been begging for an IRS in the next generation Mustang and these spy photos might just indicate that’s what Ford has planned. From the spy shots it also seems they have big changes set for the interior as well.
- Another set of spy shots leads us to believe the front end may indeed closely resemble the Evos concept.
- EcoBoost motors will be used in the new S550 platform in some way but the heated rumors around a turbo EcoBoost 4 cylinder to replace the current V6 are yet to be verified.
- The 5.0L V8 is most likely staying an option for 2015 and talk about a twin turbo 5.0L Coyote like in Ford’s 1000HP Cobrajet for the 2015 GT500 is a possible scenario.
The Mustang’s New S550 Platform
It really was only a matter of time before the Mustang changed platforms again. Now this next generation platform has a name, the S550. With that said, this is only Ford’s fifth time ever to present a new platform so this is a huge event. That averages to be one new platform every ten years. The S197 had a long run, but the Mustang isn’t looking back and taking retro cues anymore, but moving forward with a brand new S550 platform and whole new identity.
Smaller is Bigger
Ford left the New Edge/Fox 4 setup and built on a bigger S197 platform for the 2005 model year. While the Mustang still faced several changes within those ten years, the base has always stayed the same. The 2010 model year was big with a new facelift and again in 2011 by stuffing new 5.0-L Coyote V8 engines into GTs, but the foundation was still S197 based. Now, for 2015 the Mustang is going on a diet and will be lighter and smaller on its new globally-inspired platform.
Return of the SVO?
Some are predicting the return of an SVO Mustang, a turbocharged four-cylinder. It hasn’t been said whether it could be the turbo V6, or four-banger, but the EcoBoost has been making a name for itself in other Ford models. The V8 will be a likely option for the hardcore traditionalist, but not in Europe. Sorry, guys, looks like we are keeping our old-school toys over here.
UPDATE: The 4 Cylinder rumors have crossed the border into a done deal for Ford. Expect an EcoBoost in 2015.
Europe and the IRS
With the 50th anniversary of the Ford Mustang rapidly approaching, Ford engineers have been testing the new Mustang with mules having been spotted overseas. These cars have been spied using Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) that include enough changes that would require this new smaller and lighter S550 platform.
While Ford attempts to go global, do you think they are changing the Mustang too much to fit European demands? What do you think of Ford’s future plans for the Mustang? Tell us below in the comments!
UPDATE: Ford has revealed their new logo to commemorate the Mustang’s 50th anniversary.
News Source: MustangsDaily